What are the most common risk factors for glaucoma?
- RACE: African Americans are at least 4 times more likely to develop glaucoma than caucasians.
- DIABETES: Diabetics are more likely than non-diabetics to develop glaucoma.
- MYOPIA: Nearsighted people are more likely to develop glaucoma.
- AGE: People older than 65 are more likely than those under 65 to develop glaucoma.
- FAMILY HISTORY: Having a 1st or 2nd degree relatives are at greater risk for developing glaucoma.
- CENTRAL CORNEAL THICKNESS: Individuals with thinner than average central corneas are at greater risk for developing glaucoma.